Castro County is a county in Texas, with an approximate population of 8,062. The county was named for Henri Cuba, the consul general to France for the Republic of Texas. The county seat is Dimmitt, and the area is home to numerous museums, historical sites, and historic homes. The history of Castro County dates back to the late 18th century. Henri Castro established the colony in Texas, which was later named after him.
The region was first settled by the Comanches, who ruled the region until the United States Army pushed them out during the Red River War in 1874. The Apaches were forced from the area around 1720. Eventually, the Comanches were confined to Indian Territory, where they were driven from their homes. After the American army defeated the Comanches in 1874, the Comanches were driven from the area, but their descendants still remained. As a result, they had few places to settle. The county was formed in 1876, and it is the oldest county in Texas.
The county seat, Dimmitt, is the County Seat of Castro County. The County Courthouse is located in Dimmitt. It was constructed in 1939 by Townes & Funk Architects from Amarillo. The original courthouse was destroyed by lightening in 1892, so a new courthouse was built in 1906. The current courthouse was doubled in size in the 1970s. In addition to the Dimmitt courthouse, Castro’s history includes the birth of the Republic of Texas and the Mexican Revolution.
In the early 19th century, there were only nine residents living in Castro County. The county’s first paved highway, State Highway 86, connected Dimmitt with the city of Tulia. After World War II, the Work Projects Administration (WPA) began building paved intercounty dirt roads. In the mid-19th century, a graded dirt road linked Tulia and Dimmitt. After the 1940s, the Texas State Highway Department began maintaining the intercounty roads, and after the 1950s, it was known as the Caliche Loop.
Despite the presence of a large number of agricultural businesses, the county’s agriculture was still largely dominated by sorghum, cotton, and cattle. By 1900, the county had over 132,665 acres of corn and a number of ranches. It is now one of the most productive counties in the state. As a result of the fast-paced agricultural industry, Castro County became the center of Texas.
The county is home to several historical sites. The 7-UP Ranch, for example, was founded in 1884 by James W. Carter. The Circle Cross Ranch is located on the Running Water Draw in the western part of the county. In the early nineteenth century, a number of ranchers began to settle in the area. The first newspapers were published in the late 1880s. But in the 1970s, the newspaper changed hands four times, and the new owners took over the business.
The county is a small community of about seven thousand people. The population grew from four hundred to seventy-seven in the early 1900s. Its economy was based primarily on agriculture and the county’s population rose to 10,556 in 2000. By the year 1900, the county had a population of only five thousand, though the number of people in the county has remained steady since. Currently, the county’s government is located in Dimmitt.
The population of Castro County is approximately 400, and the county has 233 businesses. In the year 2000, there were 233 businesses in the county. Many of these were cotton gins and grain elevators. The county’s economy is dependent on agricultural products. It also has a goodpasture plant, which produces agricultural chemicals. Apart from that, the town has a Rhodes Memorial Library, and a medical facility. If you are looking for a home in Castro County, consider living in this town.
In 1930, Castro County had a population of 4,720 people. There were 29,500 cattle in that year. The population of the county has remained relatively steady for a long time. The area is not a particularly wealthy place. A large number of people live in the surrounding cities. However, the county is known for its agricultural products. It has a thriving oil and gas industry. A large portion of its land is used for farming and ranching.