Collingsworth County, Texas, was organized in 1876 and has a population of 3,057 at the 2010 census. It is the largest county in the state of Texas and was formed out of the counties of Collingsworth and Montgomery. The county is located in northwest Texas and is home to several interesting attractions. The county was first settled in the 1880s, but it has been incorporated since 1890.
In the 1900 census, there were only 21494 acres in Collingsworth County that were “improved.” However, the population of the county grew to 1,233 by 1900. The agricultural development in the area increased rapidly in the early 20th century, as a few newly arrived farmers bought up land and established themselves in this county. By 1900, there were 218 farms in Collingsworth County. By 1910, there were 806 farms in the county, and the population increased to 2,377.
In 1900, Collingsworth County was home to six cities, and by 1880, the population was five hundred. By the year 1900, the county was second in the United States for peanut production. By 1982, Collingsworth County had 156,000 cultivated acres. In 2004, cotton, peanuts, and wheat were the major crops grown in Collingsworth. By the year 1910, the county’s population was 6,500.
The county seat, Wellington, is located in Collingsworth County. The area is one of the largest prohibition counties in Texas, with 25,000 cattle. Its 19th-century U.S. census shows 14,641 people living in the county and a total of 2,112 farms. In the 1930 U.S. census, there were only 89 farms in the county, but today, the population of the county is just three hundred fifty-one.
The county was named after James Collinsworth, the first chief justice of the Republic of Texas. In 1876, Collingsworth County was bordered by Bexar and Young Districts. Its population was 5,224 in 2001. By 1920, all land in the county was suitable for farming. By that time, the county had a total of 246,000 acres of land. At that time, there were 1,139 farms in the area. Nearly half of the county’s land was planted in cotton, while the rest was used for cereals and other crops.
Collingsworth County was originally settled by the Apaches, who inhabited the area from prehistoric times until about 1700. At that time, they moved into Collingsworth County. During the 19th century, the county’s population grew slowly, but the number of farms dropped from two thousand to only a few hundred. The population dropped from 14,461 to ten thousand and thirty-three. During the same period, the county was home to the English’s Rocking Chair Ranch.
Historically, the region was populated by the Kiowas and Comanches. Eventually, the population of the region grew and the town was developed. By 1700, the county’s population grew to become a small city. By the 1940s, the county’s population doubled and the community grew. During the Great Depression, the country suffered a severe economic setback. In the same year, the town was destroyed, and a new government took charge of the situation.
The county is located in the southeastern part of the Texas Panhandle. It is a large, dry area, but is also home to many beautiful lakes. There are several attractions in the area. There are numerous creeks that flow into the Red River, and a few towns with sandy soil. In 1876, the county was one of the few counties in Texas that was completely dry. It was a sign of independence and the nation’s diversity, and today it is one of the largest.
The Collingsworth General Hospital was established in 1880 and has 13 inpatient acute care beds. The hospital is classified as a critical-access hospital and has a Level IV Trauma Center designation. The emergency department is open twenty-four hours a day and is the only medical facility in the county to provide 24-hour services. The community has two critical access hospitals, both of which are considered to be excellent. The community of Sisters in Collingsworth has a wide variety of medical services, including primary care and specialized medical care.
The first European to cross the United States was Pedro Vial. He was hired by the Spanish Governor of San Antonio to explore the area and find a trail to Santa Fe. The county seat is Wellington, which was chosen in an election held in September 1890. In fact, the first Anglo men to settle in Collingsworth County were members of the military expedition led by Captain Randolph Marcy. In the 1800s, there were no permanent Anglo settlers.