Concho County, Texas is a small county located in the Edwards Plateau. Founded in 1858, the county is now home to around 4,087 people. The county seat is Paint Rock. It’s named for the Concho River, which flows through the area. There are a number of things to see in this area. In the year 1859, the first oil well was discovered in the area. Now, the oil boom is coming back, making the region a great place to live and work.
One of the best ways to research the past is to look through local histories. The libraries and the internet have a wide variety of such materials. Using local histories is a great way to get a better understanding of your family’s history. Some may contain biographies or government information. In addition, if you want to find out more about the school, you can also consult these sources. They’re also less expensive than certified copies.
In the 1980 census, there were 806 Hispanic residents in Concho County. This constituted just 28 percent of the entire population. Hispanics were not counted separately from Anglos until recently, so the percentage of Blacks in the area has remained low. Still, farming has been a major part of the county’s economy for centuries. In 2002, there were only 411 farms in Concho County.
While the population of Eden, the county’s only town, is the smallest, with a population of 1,680, is located 17 miles east of the geodetic center of the state. A visit to the Don Freeman Memorial Museum in Eden is worth the visit. This museum gives a good overview of the county’s history and development. In addition, you’ll find a tribute to the county’s military heroes at the Don Freeman Museum.
Before the railroads reached Concho County, it was mostly one-teacher country schools. By the 1940 census, there were only five independent school districts. The county seat was Paint Rock. The county’s population was about 4,000 people. The area’s land was 587 square miles, and it is located on the northern edge of the Edwards Plateau. It was a small area in 1879, but by 1910, it had become an important part of the United States.
The county’s population is approximately the same as the state’s. Currently, there are 376 farms in the county. However, the population of the county has grown significantly over the past few years. In the past, it has been primarily cotton-based. By the 1930s, this type of agriculture was a dominant part of the county’s economy. But, in the 1950s, a shift to other crops and a drought-resistant crop made the land more productive.
The county’s population has grown steadily since its organization in 1879. The population of Concho County is 9,245. Its main city is Paint Rock, which is the county seat. The population of the county is roughly the same as the state’s capital, Austin. The two counties border each other and are separated by a mountain. A number of other cities are located in Concho County. Some of these communities are small and rural.
The Concho County courthouse, a building that resembles the Blanco County courthouse, was constructed in 1886 and is still in use today. The county’s permanent courthouse was built in 1886, but there were no records of activity in the county before that. This area was included in the Bexar County land grant in 1842, but the county’s creation was not completed until the legislature formed it in 1879.
The 1858 Texas Legislature formed Concho County from Bexar County. It was a hot and dry county in the late 19th century. The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway, completed its line in 1888 from Lometa to Eden. The Fort Worth & Rio Grande completed this section of the county in 1911. In the mid-1930s, the oil industry was the dominant industry in Concho. The area was also the largest sheep and wool producing county in the world at that time.
The Concho County courthouse was built in 1878. The town of Paint Rock was first named after the nearby pictographs. By the late 1840s, the Lipan Apaches had taken control of the area and had overrun the county. The Tonkawa and Jumano tribes also lived in the area. The name “Concho County” comes from the word, meaning “concho” in German. Its official language is Spanish.