Sutton County is located on the Edwards Plateau in southwest Texas. It was named after a Confederate officer, John S. Sutton. As of the 2010 census, the population was 40,128. The county was organized in 1890. Its county seat is Sonora, Texas. Sutton County is home to many historical and historic sites. In addition to being a beautiful place to visit, Sutton is home to several museums.
Sutton County has a history of oil and gas development. The oil and gas industry was first developed in the late 1920s and was a boon to the local economy. It began as a small project, but soon became a major industry, exporting between 25 and 38 million cubic feet of natural gas per year. As the region’s natural resources expanded, so did the population. Between 1948 and 1961, Sutton County saw an increase in population and oil production, which increased to more than four million barrels of crude oil. The city of Sonora also developed a municipal airport and a flood-control project, which added to the community’s economy. Its abundance of land and water fueled a growth in the oil and mineral industry in Sutton County.
Probate Records can be extremely valuable resources for genealogists. These documents contain the name of the decedent, their date of death, their spouse’s name, and any military information. In addition, the clerk has land and probate records dating back to 1890. Moreover, there are also naturalization records available, including naturalization papers of immigrants. The county clerk also maintains birth and death records, along with court and government histories, if available.
Sutton County Texas’s granite formations are reminiscent of the Edwards Plateau, which once was home to buffalo, antelope, and other game animals. These creatures were wiped out by a lack of water and reclaimed by the cattle industry. But despite these difficulties, the county’s people stayed, and the land became the home to the Cattle Industry. This is how Sutton County got its name.
Stand With The Natives – Share Our Millions
Sutton County was a center for animal fibers, and its state-owned experimental livestock research station has a long history of helping farmers and ranchers improve their livestock productivity. In 1916, the county was partnered with Texas A&M University, and the experimental livestock research station opened in the town of Sutton. Sutton County’s historical courthouse, as well as the state’s statewide and national archeological landmark, was built in 1918. The original building was razed and restored in 2002, but it still retains much of its 19th century character.
The first settlement in the county was Fort Terrett. The county seat was Sonora, which was the county seat in the 1890s. The population of Sutton County was about 3,972 in 1900. Today, the county is home to the Southern Mills Company, and it has a history of rapid growth. Its development was spurred by increased water availability and the creation of the railroad. There were three to six horse-powered well-drilling rigs in the area, and in 1931 the Panhandle and Santa Fe railroad reached Sonora.
Sutton County is the westernmost county in Texas and has a population of 30,972 residents. The county is mostly anglo-American. The Edwards Plateau is home to the Edwards Plateau Soil Conservation District, which was created in 1946. Its members sought assistance from state agencies to develop soil conservation plans. The district is a popular place for ranchers to raise livestock, as it has a semi-arid climate.
Sutton County is a rural county in southwest Texas. Its county seat is Sonora. It is surrounded by Edwards County and Kimble County on its north and east. Its total area is 3,767 square miles, with only 0.04% of it covered by water. The area was largely uninhabited during the 1800s, but ranchers found its rich potential for cattle breeding and developed it as a cattle-producing area.
The county’s name was given to it by a Confederate general. The population is approximately 40% Hispanic. The rest is composed of 0.3% Black, 0.3% other race, and 39.7% Anglo. The census was conducted in April 2000 and was completed three years later. The Sutton Memorial Park is the oldest town in the county.