O.C. Fisher Reservoir (also known as O.C. Fisher Lake, formerly known as San Angelo Lake) is an artificial lake located west of the city of San Angelo, Texas. With the financial support of the Upper Colorado River Authority, construction on the dam to form the reservoir was begun by the United States Army Corps of Engineers in 1947 and the lake was officially impounded in 1952. Originally named San Angelo Lake, the reservoir was renamed in 1975 for local U.S. Congressman O.C. Fisher, to honor his 23 years of service in the United States Congress. O.C. Fisher Reservoir was established to provide flood control and a secondary drinking water source for San Angelo and the surrounding communities in Tom Green County. The lake also serves as a recreational venue for fishing, boating, and swimming. The dam and reservoir are managed by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, which leases of the surrounding shoreline to Texas Parks and Wildlife, for San Angelo State Park. Due to the 2011 drought affecting Texas, the water had taken on a reddish hue, caused by bacteria of the Chromatiaceae, which were thriving in the oxygen-deprived water. As of March 2012, the reservoir has 0 acre-feet remaining and is officially at 0% capacity.
O.C. Fisher Reservoir
Bookmark the permalink.